ACS Trenton Local Section Scholarship Award 2019
The Trenton Section of the American Chemical Society is sponsoring one High School Scholarship ($3,000 max for the scholarship, over two years). $1,500 will be awarded in year one. There is the potential for a second year $1,500 renewal depending on funds, required continued pursuit of a degree in chemistry and maintaining good grades. Graduating students at public or private high schools within the boundaries of the Trenton local section, who plan to major in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or chemical technology at a two or four-year college, qualify for these scholarships.
The Section also offers the Roeser Memorial Scholarship award ($5,000 max for the scholarship, over two years). $3,000 will be awarded in year one, with the potential for a $2000 renewal for one additional year. The application and renewal requirements are the same as described above with the following two restrictions: (1) the student must be graduating from a public high school and (2) must be planning, as a senior in high school, a career in pure or applied chemistry. An additional paragraph in the application describing pure or applied chemistry is also required (*see details below).
We are looking for high school seniors who will pursue undergraduate degrees in chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry, or chemical technology and that plan to pursue a career in the chemical sciences or engineering. Typically, students pursuing degrees to become a nurse, medical doctor, physician assistant, pharmacist, physical therapist or other health professional career do not qualify; however, health science/engineering careers that extensively use chemistry, chemical technology, or chemical engineering and will involve research or manufacturing rather than treating patients may qualify at the discretion of the selection committee. Please note: only candidates attending a high school located within the Trenton ACS Local Section are eligible for these scholarships. You can determine if your high school is located within the Trenton ACS Local Section by entering your high school’s Zip/Postal Code and State at the following webpage: ACS Local Section Lookup.
To qualify for consideration for either scholarship, the student must submit to the scholarship committee the following items:
1. A letter with the following subheadings:
Describe your intent to apply, summarize your GPA and SAT scores, extracurricular activities, and impressions of your high school chemistry course(s)
B. College Plans
Describe why you chose your college and your major
C. Career Plans
Describe your career plans after college and address what you plan to do with your career
*In order to be considered for the Roeser Memorial Scholarship, the applicant must include an additional paragraph in section C which address the following two areas: 1) A description of what is pure or applied chemistry and 2) An explanation of why a career in this area interests them
2. An official transcript of high school grades including chemistry courses.
3. An official report of the applicant’s SAT and Chemistry Achievement Test scores administered by the Educational Testing Service. The Trenton Section of the American Chemical Society has been assigned the code 0570 by ETS for use by students requesting that their scores be reported to us. If the scores have been officially entered on the school transcripts, then we do not need a separate report from ETS.
4. The student’s home phone number and e-mail address.
5. A letter of recommendation from their high school chemistry teacher. Please include the teacher’s home phone number and e-mail so we can contact them, if clarification is needed. This letter should be sent separately as a PDF file to on school letterhead or from an official school email account. The letter must be received by 5:00 pm Friday, March 29, 2019. The subject line of the email should be: Applicant name, TrACS Scholarship Recommendation
All of the applicant’s materials should be sent as a SINGLE PDF file for sections 1-4 to and also must be received by 5:00 pm Friday, March 29, 2019. The subject line of the email should be: Applicant name, TrACS Scholarship Application
If you cannot submit a PDF file, a hardcopy may be sent to the address listed below and postmarked by the same deadline. An email should also be sent to so we know to expect your mailed application. The subject line of the email should be: Applicant name, TrACS Scholarship Application
Mailing address for hardcopy application:
Department of Chemistry
The College of New Jersey
PO Box 7718
Ewing, NJ 08628
Awards are presented to the winners at our May Awards Dinner (date to be determined). The awardee and their nominating teacher are invited as Trenton ACS guests. Parents and other guests are welcome at their own expense (typically ~$25/person).
Students receiving the scholarship will be expected to perform the following duties:
1. At their institution of matriculation, the scholar must participate in their campus’ chemistry club (usually a student affiliates club of the American Chemical Society). If none exists, service to another science-based club may be substituted.
2. At the end of the academic year, provide a written report that includes their activities with the campus club during the academic year, an unofficial copy of their transcripts showing their performance in their major, and a statement that the scholar will remain a chemistry, chemical engineering, or chemical technology major.
The local section will invite 2019 scholarship winners to attend the Awards Dinner in 2020 to share their experiences at their new institution.